Sheldon Adelson, his life and his heritage
Born in 1933, Sheldon Adelson is an American billionaire who is listed as the 13th richest man in the world. A good example of a self-made man, he is married to Miriam Ochshorn, a medical doctor who has carried out research on drug addiction and with whom he has 5 children. From a start with a loan of 200 dollars to sell newspapers, he has built his empire by becoming an entrepreneur and by investing in 50 economic activities. He succeeded in investments by launching the computer salon in Las Vegas in 1979.
His first casino-hotel acquisition was the Las Vegas Sands next to which he had a sumptuous conference centre built. In 1996 this building was razed in order to build an ambitious hotel complex: the Las Vegas Venetian. Said to be the largest hotel in the world, it is based on the architecture of Venice and has 7000 suites, shops, restaurants and a large casino. The year 2001 was marked out by the construction in Macau, China of a sumptuous casino: the Macau Venetian.
The Sands Las Vegas and the Venetian Las Vegas
After the sale of Comdex to a Japanese company, Sheldon Adelson concentrated on a new area of activity which he wished to develop: casinos. So he bought the Sands Las Vegas in 1988 for 128 million dollars and invested 150 million dollars to extend and renovate it. An imitation of the city of Venice, the Venetian Las Vegas was built in 1999 to replace the Sands Hotel. Just as in the city of Venice, the architecture includes canals and gondolas.
To welcome visitors to the casino from all over the world, Sheldon Adelson launched the concept of a hotel- casino by building the Palazzo, a 3000 room luxury hotel combining casino games with entertainment, leisure and pleasurable activities such as restaurants, concerts and shopping centres.
The Macau Venetian, the gaming city
Said to be the largest casino in the world, the Macau Venetian covers an area of 920 000 square metres. With an annual turn over of 20 billion euros it is a gigantic building. One would need three days to visit all of it. The Macau Venetian has about 30 000 visitors a day. With such an immense casino room, the casino has almost 4500 slot machines and 850 gaming tables. The complex has, to the delight of its clients, 3000 suites, thirty restaurants and a 15000 seat stadium. A Disneyworld for adults, the casino resembles a sanctuary without daylight which gives it an air of unreality.
The Marina Bay Sands, a glass palace
News about Sheldon Adelson
- Sheldon Adelson hopes to reverse 2011 opinion allowing intrastate online casinos Sheldon Adelson, the chairperson of Las Vegas Sands which operates several major land based casinos in the United States and in Asia is opposed to online casinos. He had plans in 2013 to work in 2014 towards overturning the Department of Justice opinion of 2011 which allowed intrastate online gambling.The 1961 Wire Act which banned ... Read More
- Sheldon Adelson to oppose online gambling While many of those operating in the land based casino industry are involved in or are looking to become involved in the online casino market, the complete opposite is true for Sheldon Adelson the Chief Executive Officer of the Las Vegas Sands Corporation. Adelson’s position on internet gambling opposes him to those in the United ... Read More
- Danger that Madrid could lose out on EuroVegas After very stiff competition for Sheldon Adelson’s EuroVegas between the two Spanish cities of Madrid and Barcelona, Madrid managed to win the lucrative agreement that Eurovegas would be built in its area. The proposed casino resort is to be built over about ten years from the start of construction due begin at the end of this ... Read More
- Sheldon Adelson Opposes Online Casinos Sheldon Adelson, the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Las Vegas Sands Corp, the casino industry’s biggest stock market listed company has reiterated his opposition to online casinos. Adelson, one of the richest people in the world discounts the idea that one reason for his opposition to online gambling could be the fact that legislation ... Read More
- Spain’s EuroVegas to be Completed in 2022 The plan to build EuroVegas in Spain was put forward by the Chief Executive Officer of the Las Vegas Sands company, Sheldon Adelson, in 2011. A year followed in which the cities chosen as possible locations for the huge casino complex rivalled in their attempts to win the development for themselves. Barcelona and Madrid both ... Read More
- Sands Reveals Plans for Macau Parisian Themed Casino Resort Sheldon Adelson is in the news again, this time with the announcement of plans to construct a very large casino resort on the Cotai strip in Macau. Adelson is a major developer of the Cotai strip which was reclaimed from the sea to become an area of luxurious casino resorts based on the famous Las ... Read More
- Las Vegas Style Casino Complex for Spain A huge casino complex based on the Las Vegas strip could be built in Spain if agreement is reached between the Las Vegas Sands Corporation, which is behind the development and the Spanish government. The massive new complex would cover an area of about half the size of the Las Vegas strip and would include ... Read More
- Casino : Mini Las Vegas near Madrid The Spanish economy is in a pitiful state especially when one takes into consideration that the rate of unemployment is over 22% and that many young highly qualified people have no other choice than to accept jobs beneath their qualifications. Spain is holding its breath concerning a project that could give the city of Madrid ... Read More